Monday 16 March 2009

Speaking of moving too fast...

In case you haven't heard... Tim and I are moving to Washington, DC in less than three weeks.

Here's how it all happened, for those of you who are interested in "the rest of the story":

As anyone who follows my blog knows, I went to Barack Obama's Inauguration in January. What you may not know is that I came back inspired and with a great desire to move to D.C.! Almost immediately upon my arrival at PDX I was telling Tim about how we were going to sell both of our cars, and scale down on our belongings and move to Washington, DC to live the dream. I was pretty exhausted after delayed flights and a week of very little sleep, but I'm pretty sure Tim's response was something like: "What in the WORLD are you talking about, little miss crazy??"

Once he recovered from the shock, Timmy naturally realized that mine was a good idea. ;) We began discussing how we would make the DC dream a reality. Tim sent his resume out to a couple of Information Technology contacts I had gleaned from friends in DC and I began looking for jobs that were of interest to me. Shortly after Tim had sent out his resumes, we decided that moving immediately was not a very wise decision financially, so we aimed to save money over the summer and look into moving in September. Of course, in an ironic twist, shortly after we renewed our apartment lease through August, Tim got a phone interview with HouseCall IT in DC. Then a week later he had a video conference with the same company. And a week later (last week) he was flying out for a week long interview on The Hill.

Long story short, Tim loved DC and the job and has accepted a Jr. Systems Administrator position with HouseCall starting April 6th! He also nailed down an apartment for us. You can check it out here! We will be living just 5 blocks from the Capitol (where Tim will work, and hopefully where I will work as well), 4 blocks from one Metro stop and 5 blocks from another, and just 4 blocks from my good friend Anna (with whom both Tim and I stayed during our recent visits to DC)! It's right across the street from a park with tennis courts and room to frolic, too!

So, as it turns out, we have sold both of our cars, turned in our 2 weeks notice, and will be moving to DC the first of April - just in time for the peak Cherry Blossom season! A dream come true.

And we both live Happily Ever After!

9 comments:

Jeremy and Kristin Chatelain said...

Oh my goodness! What a whirlwind you must be in! What fun and exciting times though! Excited for you guys, I know that you will have so many dreams come true :) Have to admit though we were going to take a quick vacation in OR this year and talked of seeing you. Now we'll just have to vacation in DC to see you ;) keep us posted on happenings!

Amber said...

I've had a long time to get used to the idea of you moving to DC. But that apartment? Shut up! It looks amazing and elegant, and could the location be better?

So, how are you getting over there? U-haul? I look forward to following your moving process and settling in process. So you better blog it all!!

Unknown said...

Kendra and Tim:

You are so lucky to be chasing your dreams. I wish both of you nothing but health, happiness and adventure in your new city! What a time to live in Washington.

All the best!!

James and Suzanne Squires

Anonymous said...

What a surprise, as well as a wonderful story. Congratulations to you both and best wishes!

Arlene Winn said...

What an exciting time for you both! I am looking forward to hearing all about your adventure. Your stories will be fun and insightful!

Love you both!

gb-r said...

I'm amazed and impressed! Godspeed!

Ally said...

Everybody say hey ho, hey ho! I'm so excited for you! Now I'm going to click on the link and check out your new pad...

Jess said...

Wow! This is so exciting! So happy for you guys! This sounds so familiar, as our own transition happened swiftly as well. Congrats! And what a great apartment!

Neil said...

Wow! How great! Enjoy the adventure and the cherry blossoms... :)