Thursday 12 March 2009

Slow down, ya move too fast

So, do you wanna hear a funny story? Of course you do! Anything to take your mind off the depressing news about the economy, right?

This morning
I woke up and felt like the cold I had been fighting the last few days had finally gotten better! I was pretty excited about that, thinking - this is great! I'm finally past the worst of it and am back up to full speed! And I rolled out of bed to get in the shower and get ready for work.

I noticed my lower back was feeling a bit funny, but thought it was just the morning kinks. It was right about then that I felt a sneeze coming on. This had been a recurring theme to my cold. I would feel like I was going to sneeze, but I would only get the precursors and none of the relief that an actual sneeze provides. So, in the last couple of days, I have been celebrating full-on sneezes. Therefore, I got a bit excited when this sneeze started building (as excited as one can be through the early morning grogginess). And then I SNEEZE!!!!!!!

But this sneeze is not one to rejoice over like the ones of the last few days. This one shoots serious pain down my lower back and the pain is so intense that I can't stand back up straight.
Instead, I fell to my knees and then realize I couldn't stand back up.

Oh yes, it was THAT pathetic!

I could hardly move! I made it to my phone and called my chiropractor, only to learn from their answering machine that they aren't open on Thursdays. Perfect. On top of that, Tim is out of town so I called my good friend Kristen who graciously got me phone numbers to other chiropractic clinics in town then took me to one on her lunch break.

Yup, I sneezed in the shower and threw my back out so bad that I'm laid up for two days, and had to go to a new chiropractor. The new chiropractor (at The Chiropractic Healing Center) said it seems to just be major muscle spasms, not a bulging disc, which is good! I should be up and running in a couple of days as long as I stay off my feet, use ice/heat therapy and lay in the appropriate positions.

So, it's sad, but it's kinda funny. This silly incident forced me to let my body rest and recover from my cold completely, and take a much needed break from work. So I'm listening to my body and taking it easy. Plus kitty and I are enjoying our time together taking cat naps, reading and blogging...

4 comments:

Arlene Winn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Arlene Winn said...

ohh the ways our body and the good Lord get our attention.
May you get in tune with your gracious and loving God as well as your body while you resting up.

Ally said...

I'm sorry cous, but I did have to laugh a little. Actually more at the idea that you were celebrating full-on sneezes, which I actually relate to very much, but how you put it made me giggle. Hope you're better soon!

Amber said...

Hasn't this happened before? What is wrong with your back, girlfriend?