Friday 3 April 2009

Hello, I live here!

Tim, Sophie and I landed safely in DC last night around 10:00 PM. We flew first class from Seattle to DC thanks to an upgrade from one of Tim's frequent-flyer aunts! Sophie traveled well, and our landlords (upstairs neighbors) welcomed us with flowers, a made bed, and dinner at 11:00 PM!

I had an interview today (found out yesterday morning), and just got done meeting with them. It was with the Center for Democracy in the America's, an NGO that works to educate the public and policy-makers toward improvement of US-Latin American relations (specifically focused on Venezuela and Cuba). I think it went well. I'm currently sitting in the Washington Office on Latin America (using their internet thanks to a friend who works here). And I wanted to update you all!

This morning Tim and I walked around in our neighborhood and found the nearest grocery store which is called Harris Teter and it's A LOT like Market of Choice in Eugene! That made me really happy! We also found the gym (just a block away), and a lot of fun places to eat and hang out on Barracks Row. We paid a visit to the Capitol Hill Frager's hardware store to make copies of our house keys (a "we live here!" moment). Frager's was an experience. The isles were hardly wide enough to walk down and there were items stacked to the ceilings. Adding to the claustrophobia was the humidity and rain which made my already struggling lungs want to collapse on themselves and made my hair uber-frizzy! Tim looked at me after we had been walking for a while and said: "You're gonna have to find a new hairstyle"! Thanks for telling it like it is, hun!

Alright, that's all for now. Pictures forthcoming. No way to load them at the moment!

4 comments:

Amber said...

Congrats! I hope your interview went well (sounds like it did) and that you have many more fun "we live here!" moments in the future!

PS Can you send me your new address so I can update my address book? That will be a "you live there!" moment for me. ;)

Unknown said...

What a fun thing... to savor the "we live here" moments. Thank you for sharing them with us! I am looking forward to lots of interesting tales about such moments!

Ally said...

That job sounds perfect for you. Keep us posted!

Tim clearly hasn't figured out the art of bs'ing yet. He's supposed to say, "You look lovely," no matter what.

Caris Power said...

I love that Tim tells it how it is. Keep it real right? Thanks for the post. I want to hear more about how the job interview went. Love you.