Thursday 29 May 2008

Interview with a Female Polyglot Lawyer

I had an interview today at Hecht & Norman, LLC. I interviewed with Hecht - the founding partner of the firm. She speaks 5 languages fluently and 3 semi-fluently. Needless to say, I felt like a nobody. Furthermore, I learned that every person employed by this law office speaks at least Spanish and English fluently. I felt a bit out of my league. But I walked in there like I owned the place (thank you, Amber) and showed them what I've got.

What I've got:
-A degree in International Relations with a minor in Philosophy (not bad for an immigration law office)
-Spanish language skills which I haven't used in 2 years (a good base, but not immediately accessible)
-A desire to be involved in law and help people
-A deep interest in immigration
-A desperate need to find a job I care about, which requires me to use my brain, and does not bore me to death
-Job experience that does not directly pertain to this position

What they've got:
-A job with a purpose in which I am very much interested
-Great on-the-job training - by the time they're done training me they said I would know as much as they do, meaning I can be a vital part of helping immigrants wade through the bureaucratic red tape that is our naturalization process
-Room for upward mobility and a supportive attitude toward further education
-A location that is close to home - I could bike to work!
-A cosmopolitan team of fun women - yes, I would be going from an all male workplace to an all female one

Needless to say, I feel very intimidated, but excited about the prospect of this job. My Spanish was very very rusty, and my interviewers recognized that (obviously). But I also fooled them into believing that I was their top candidate out of all their interviews and resumes thus far and they said I would fit the job very well. They perceived me to be intelligent, passionate and an enjoyable person who would fit in well with the team. This is all good news. I have them fooled! I wouldn't start until July, if they offer me the job. Hopefully I will find out within the next two to three weeks if I got the job or not. Things seem to be looking up in the job prospects part of my life.

I would be very challenged in the first few months (or years?) of the job, but it would be very rewarding both personally and professionally. It is right up my alley and would certainly get my language back up to par! The ladies all speak English and Spanish to each other, so I would pick it up again pretty quickly (I hope).

It's strange how my excitement and intimidation can live simultaneously inside of me. I'm scared of the job - whether or not I would be up to it, but I'm also excited about the challenge and actually growing rather than shriveling up in boredom. I mean, reading news and facebooking at work is fun and all, but there comes a time when I need outside challenges and stimulation.

I will keep you all posted.

In other news:
-I started reading Eat Pray Love yesterday. I'm loving it so far.
-I bought some amazing Cole Haan black patent leather Nike Air peep toe pumps this weekend. Amazingly comfortable, and hott!!
-Tim and I got to see Stomp at the Hult Center in Eugene last night and they were fantastic live.
-Julie, one of my very best friends, is coming to visit this weekend and I can hardly wait!

3 comments:

Amber said...

Did you wear the Cole Haans to work, because I think that would seriously help with the "walking in like you own the place" business!!

I think you sound perfect for the job! I can't wait to hear what kinds of things they asked you and what kinds of answers you gave! (cough, email, cough, cough.)

What an amazing opportunity! And even if you don't get it (pshaw), you've learned that you give a stellar interview!

Amber said...

See, I called it "work" because it seems so natural that you would already work there!

Ally said...

Oh Kendra, this job sounds so perfect for you! I'm crossing my fingers for you that they'll call this week with an offer.

Loved "Eat Pray Love."