Thursday 22 May 2008

Where to go next...

I have never been thrilled about my current job, but recent on-the-job happenings have made me even less excited to go to work in the morning. Getting up at 6:00 in the morning to be to work by 7:00 requires a drive, a desire to do the work that awaits me. I have no such drive for this job. I seem to go through feast and famine times here. Sometimes I have lots to do - even some creative projects that require my intellect and my imagination. But most of the time I have very little (or nothing) to do. I just can't handle the boredom.

So, I am, yet again, on the hunt for a new job. Just this week I have applied for an Executive Assistant position at Options Counseling Services in downtown Eugene. This job would be close enough to home that I could ride my bike, and I think I would feel more fulfilled being part of a group whose purpose is to support people through their dark times and help them come out the other side stronger and more prepared to take on the world.

I've also applied for a bilingual Office Assistant position with Hecht & Norman Immigration Law. This would also be much closer to home, and is close to my heart - serving immigrants. I have an interview with them next Thursday, and will be receiving a call sometime this week from a woman who will test my Spanish skills. So, I've been brushing up on my Spanish while I'm bored at work this week. I've learned about heart transplants, car wrecks, sun screen, wine, being too full, and most importantly job interviews in Spanish. Hopefully this little refresher course will pay off. It has at least required me to use a part of my brain that has lain dormant for a couple of years. I was almost surprised to learn that I was assesed as an Upper Intermediate by the site. I guess I haven't lost it all.

Finally, I applied for an Administrative Assistant position with the biotechnology firm Invitrogen, a company I have actually interviewed with before.

We will see how all of this goes. I would be sad to leave Grenzebach right now, since I have been saving up my paid time off for summer activities and I would lose all of that if I left. But I really feel like I will be happier and more fulfilled in a job change. I have managed to stay in this position for nearly a year now. I'm ready to move on.... and I know Tim is ready for me to be less grumpy when I get home from work!

1 comment:

Ally said...

Maybe this is just me trying to live vicariously through you, but have you thought about joining the Peace Corp along with Tim? You are young and without kids and the timing just seems so perfect...

In any event, good luck with all of these interviews. I'm rooting for the bilingual/immigrants one.