Tuesday 6 May 2008

One Year Down

I graduated from college a year ago today. I only remember the precise date because it was a cool one, 05/06/07, followed by a cool wedding date almost exactly two months later, 07/07/07. Digression aside, today's marking one year of post-baccalaureate life seems impossible. Have I really been out of school for that long?

This realization brings many questions to mind. In much the same way as Amber reflected upon her life since graduation, I ask myself what I have done with the last year. I suppose a lot has happened; I mean, I married the love of my life, moved to a new city, started (and kept) my first full-time, year-round job with benefits, made new friends, traveled to Georgia twice, learned to referee basketball, became a member of the Red Cross volunteer team, bought my first furniture, joined my first gym, started and maintained my first personal budget etc. It's been a VERY GOOD year!

But is my life heading in the direction I had hoped for it? Am I any closer to getting my Masters degree? Closer to working for an international aid agency? Closer to making a real difference in the world? Have I used my degree this year?

I suppose I consider this year a transitional waiting period in some ways. I'm not actually in a job that has anything to do with what I want to do with my life. But I'm gaining work experience and showing that I am dependable and skilled. I've got another couple of years to work while Tim finishes starts and finishes his Paramedic degree and then I'll go back for my Masters, so I guess I'm a year closer to starting my Masters. I guess I have used my degree this year in dealing with an international company and the challenges that come along with it. This is not how I had hoped and dreamed I would use my four years of university education, but it's a start. And after I get my Masters, four years from now, I will be a huge step closer to working for that international aid agency I hope to be a part of - thus making the type of difference in the world that I hope to make.

One year down, four years to go in my five-year plan.

In year number two, I will:
- Visit my cousin and her family in Seattle
- Grow my job skills and get at least one more raise and bonus
- Change jobs for one that offers more interaction with the public and more job responsibilities
- Go to Tim's family's summer vacation in North Idaho for the first time
- Use my wakeboard as much as possible
- Cook a new recipe once a week
- Visit Amber and Aaron in California at least once
- Get together with Julie at least once
- Go sky-diving for our first anniversary
- Float the Willamette River
- Stay fit
- Bike more
- Pay down my school debt - hopefully down to half its original amount by May 2009
- Plan a trip through Europe or a cruise through the Mediterranean for 2009
- Make new friends

2 comments:

Amber said...

Oh Kendra, your post is so much more optimistic than mine! ;) It's refreshing (and inspiring) to see you count the seemingly little things that you (we've) accomplished this year, that actually are important foundations to lay to move ahead. Way to look on the bright side!

And I am looking forward to that visit!!

Oh, and sky-diving? Much braver than I, my friend. Much braver than I.

Ally said...

Hooray, cousin! This is a fabulous list. Only I wish you'd add "visit my cousin in Seattle" to it.

Good on ya for taking stock one year out. It is scary how quickly the years slip away.

Regarding the cooking a new recipe every week goal, have I recommended "Simply in Season" to you. It is hands down the best cookbook I know. Done by the good old quakers.