Monday 10 March 2008

Eighty

This weekend Tim and I traveled back to Eastern Oregon for my grampa's 80th birthday celebration! I love my grampa dearly, and enjoyed spending time with him around his special day. My grandma was also in the hospital following her knee-replacement surgery, so we got to visit her in the hospital too!

I baked my grandpa's birthday pie - mixed berry in the shape of a heart - and made my first lemon meringue pie too! The lemon pie came out beautiful (that's me pulling it out of the oven) even though the crust was a bit too hard. My mother and aunt Kathy made the meal, which was delicious, and the company was precious.




Grampa got to visit with a small group of family and friends around dinner and dessert. He also received a bundle of letters, cards and birthday greetings from family and friends who have known him throughout his life. These were very special to him, as he cherishes the written word - especially from his family and friends. After dinner he shared with us a poem sent to him on his birthday by one of his favorite professors at Blue Mountain Community College. I love the look I captured of him reading from the poem his professor sent. He really gets into his poetry reading!





Grampa's 80th birthday was definitely worth the long (though rushed) trip back home!

3 comments:

Amber said...

Your pies look delicious!! I think we'd have a lot of fun playing Betty Crocker. And then eating them. ;)

Ally said...

Hooray! Thank you for posting this; now I felt like I got to share in the celebration.

Your pies look amazing! Good work!

Chasé said...

Hi Kendra
Nice to hear from a fellow Obama supporter. I'm sure by now you probably already found more info but the best place to go is barackobama.com or kezi.com. BTW my brother suggested getting there early. Apparently there was a mini riot in Seattle when they close the doors on people. Perhaps I'll see you there tomorrow. Oh and I'll be sure to check back on your blog...I'm a recent grad too! And I love pie :)