Wednesday 26 March 2008

Biofuels: "Greed Overtaking the Common Good"

BBC News reported today that Indian Finance Minister P Chidambaram "has said that it is 'outrageous' that developed countries are turning food crops into bio fuels."

As I read the brief article, I was caught up in the complexity of the issue. In an attempt to decrease carbon emissions (thus lessening our damage to the environment) and our dependence on foreign oil, we have managed to create an even worse situation for poorer countries. With 20% of corn crops heading for biofuel production (along with other grains, sugar cane and soybeans), food prices have soared. Did we not consider this before beginning such vast biofuel production? And are there not more corn, grain, sugar cane, and soybean acres being planted to make up for the difference? I don't actually know what the statistics are, but it's tragic that our efforts to decrease our carbon footprints have had such a negative immediate effect upon our own food prices, and that of poorer countries. We are interconnected and the byproducts of our choices effect many.

My mind then wonders - is there a viable solution to this problem? Can't we produce enough of these necessary crops to keep food prices at a reasonable level (for our sake and the sake of those much less fortunate), and at the same time produce these renewable fuel options that are less damaging to our planet? My father the agriculturalist educator and small-scale biofuel producer probably has some light to shed on this topic... Maybe I'll discuss it with him in search of answers. Anyone else?

4 comments:

Amber said...

Wow! In all I've heard about biofuels, which is a ton since it was a very hot topic on PLU campus, I never heard this point made. I can tell you that ethanol from corn and sugar is a very inefficient fuel source, so other sources are much more viable. Hopefully people will lean toward the alternatives and leave the corn and sugar alone. Thanks for reminding us that there is more to consider when going green than emissions!

Ally said...

I've heard this criticism as well and have the same questions that you do. My comprehension and knowledge of the macro-economics is lacking. Your point about interconnectivity is such a good one. What a shame that good intentions aren't always enough!

Amber-- GO LUTES!

Anonymous said...

It's costing me over $5 a gallon to fill my tiny VW Golf these days. I keep reminding myself that we got into the biodiesel gig because we didn't want to pollute - not because we wanted to save money. One explanation I've heard is that people are speculating in soybeans and corn on the stock market, and driving up the cost of biofuels that way. I am uncomfortable thinking that crops that could feed the hungry are going into my car, but at a loss to know what to do. My very tall husband can't fit into a Prius. Smart Cars get LOTS of miles to the gallon and are very cute, but we have a 4 person family and a Very Large Dog, so a 2 seater tiny car is not practical. And yes, we do bus. I'm terrified of bicycling... What that leaves for me is trying to design my errands so that they're walkable, or at least really efficient.

Amber said...

remember the days when you blogged? I miss them.