Wednesday 17 October 2007

To Pledge or Not To Pledge

I accidentally told a coworker today that I do not “pledge allegiance to the flag.” I hadn't intended to tell him that, nor did I ever intend to write a blog entry about it... but I think this serves as a good conversation starter, if nothing else. Now, before you write me off as a crazy closet communist and/or terrorist, please hear me out.

Somehow, my coworker and I got to talking on the subject of illegal immigration and my coworker is of the opinion that if immigrants do not completely become American and pledge all of their allegiance to the American flag, they are not welcome here. I understand where he is coming from to a certain extent… a nation divided cannot stand for long. On the other hand, I myself find it difficult to pledge my allegiance to anything aside from Jesus Christ.

National boundaries and allegiances frequently become reasons to fight one another. My goal in life is not to create reasons to fight, but rather reasons to join together in love and understanding. This may sound very “hippy” of me (I live in Eugene, give me a break!), but in truth, Jesus Christ is a trans-border icon for love and salvation. Can I truly pledge my allegiance to the flag of the United States when my real allegiance lies higher than that?

Please don’t get me wrong. I do not say any of this to downplay everything people have done to preserve the rights and liberties of this nation in which I have been privileged to live. I am thankful for the courageous acts of all those who have fought to keep our rights and liberties. But somehow I cannot pledge myself to any nation when invisible (and even worse sometimes, visible) lines drawn with the blood of those who fought to create a politically recognized entity border every one of them.

No, my allegiance lies higher than a simple nation state that will come to an end. My allegiance is to the Kingdom of God (which could be the topic of a hundred posts, but I will spare you that lengthy discourse). This Kingdom need not be simply pie in the sky – this is something we, I, can and should strive for on earth. After all, the oft quoted Lord’s Prayer states: “Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.”

But how do we go about this Kingdom work, you may ask? One of my life verses (Micah 6:8) states: “He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God (NIV).” The Message version reads: “But he’s already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, and don’t take yourself too seriously— take God seriously.” If we are to see God’s Kingdom come on this earth, we must start focusing on justice, compassion, kindness, and our humble walk with God. Focusing on national allegiance only creates differences.

But allegiance to one’s nation is not the only thing that can distract from bringing the Kingdom of God to earth. There are all sorts of differences between people that we tend to focus on - including differences between religions and denominations. This does not help in the cause of realizing the Kingdom on this earth. Let’s drop our differences whenever possible and focus on our common call toward the God who created us.

Some may say that allegiance to God causes just as many wars, or more, than national allegiance. Unfortunately the fallen nature of human beings allows some to become mistakenly and dangerously zealous or fanatic about a badly distorted view God and faith. That is not God's fault, and we cannot discontinue all belief in God or actions out of faith because some individuals use religion for violent causes. In the end, God will sort out each person’s actions and the desires of his or her heart. Until that time, we can do our best to act justly, love mercy and kindness, and walk humbly with God.

Pledging all of my allegiance and all of my heart to the God of the universe is a far greater and higher calling than pledging my allegiance to the flag of a country which will come to an end – even if that country has given me liberties and rights unlike any other country on earth. God - my global God - is higher still.
__________________________________________________
***If you are still reading - haven't been so enraged by my lack of patriotism that you quit reading altogether - I am very interested in hearing your thoughts. This is something I've been thinking about for quite some time now and I really enjoy hearing people's varying opinions.***

3 comments:

Ally said...

I haven't before considered not saying the pledge but you make a good case for your position. I agree with you that our allegiance should be to God, and to the principles to which we are called (as you quoted--justice, mercy). This calling is not contained within our boundaries as a nation. Good post, cousin.

Amber said...

In the past few years it has been very difficult for me to love my country. Like you, I recognize how incredibly fortunate I am to be here, and am grateful for it everyday. Yet, can't I show my patriotism by being an engaged, thinking, conscientious citizen instead of wearing a t-shirt with a flag on it like its my favorite NASCAR driver or something. Can't I show in my actions that I am invested in the cause of freedom and rights rather than pledge my allegiance? The words to me are meaningless, not much more than the verses children recited about the enemy nations in WWII. If it isn't trying to indoctrinate children into blind nationalism, then what is the point? Can't we teach them history to make them actually learn about and respect America (or at least decide for themselves)?

I love your post. Very well said. Such a refreshing change from the hyper-patriotism of many conservative Christian movements.

Dean said...

part of the problem that we conservative, american christians have is that we think it is all about us and in that, our nation must come before all other nations. you know, take care of our own before we go and do anything for all those other countries who have obviously not been blessed by God.

well, as you said so well, we as followers of Christ should not have any geographical boundaries. as a matter of fact, we should take care of our own first, that being our neighbors. wow! that really changes who our own is. tends to reach well beyond the united states. how quickly we forget that we have an obligation to people all over the world. not just here.

it is those geographical boundaries that really begin creating our problems. we get so consumed about getting what we need or want and we forget about what it is doing to others in this world.

good stuff my friend.