Wednesday 2 September 2009

Call me Uncaring

I have a confession to make: I'm pretty sure DC has turned me into a B.I.T.C.H.

- Here's the proof -

I used to be an idealist. One of those annoyingly optimistic people who think they can fix all that is wrong in the world. After just five months living in DC, when I walk down the street between the Metro and my office I don't want to be stopped by people out to save the world. I don't want to be annoyed daily by people from CARE, Greenpeace, PETA, or those people who make Obama out to be Hitler. I most certainly don't want to be approached (and made to feel guilty for not stopping) by three people from the same organization while walking from my office to the post office two blocks away. I'm just trying to go about my life. I don't want you asking if I have a moment to save the planet, or a moment to help abused animals, or a moment to solve world poverty. Your incessant attempts to stop me on the street drive me crazy. I'd like to think that I'm just annoyed by their patronizing ways - treating me as if I'm not already doing my part to help make the world a better place. As if every person walking by is not already helping, but maybe I'm just completely uncaring and heartless.

Not only that, but I have become the most annoyable person I know. People who don't follow the "rules" of the Metro system make my blood boil. I have too many stories to share on this topic for the short time I've been using the Metro Rail system. And if I recount them my blood pressure will likely shoot through the roof, so I'd better not. But suffice it to say, people are crazy. And when you put them into small spaces like mass transit trains and tunnels they seem to lose all common sense and politeness that their mama's (should have) taught them. About once a week I leave work in a pretty good mood only to arrive home fuming. I've got to find a way to control this pent-up frustration. I can't control them, I can only control me. *deep breath* I can't control them, all I can control is me.

5 comments:

Alex said...

*clapclapclap*
Just smile and breathe. Easier said than done, I know. But oh well. :p

Duck Doc said...

Welcome to the city. It sometimes becomes overwhelming to deal with all of the noise that is out there. Makes you realize though what a tough job being a politician is as it is their job to LISTEN to the crazies! Wear headphones all the time and pretend like you are listening to something even if you have nothing on - passive ignoring ;-)

Kendra Joy said...

Kirsten - I DEFINITELY employ the headphone tactic. Or the "talking on the phone" tactic. Any way to look busy even if I'm not! Haha! Makes me feel like a horrible person every time, though. :)

Musicputnam said...

Kendra--I'm pleased with your bitter side :) Good luck with the crazies, and you can always call me on the phone--I'm VERY important!

cbattle said...

The two most important tools for riding the Metro are; an Ipod with noise cancelling headphones and a large bottle of fabreze.