Wednesday 24 September 2008

Scars

I had my first adult bike wreck this week. It was all because of my foolishness. I was wearing impractical (yet very attractive) shoes and a pencil skirt, and was riding in a construction zone. Not the smartest thing in the world to do, right? To top it off, I tried to jump up onto a curb while paralleling that curb, something my biking instructor (Tim) told me explicitly not to do. As I was about to attempt the parallel-curb-hop I was thinking, "I really shouldn't do this; Tim said it wasn't a good idea...SHOOT!" CRASH, SKID, BRUISE! Fortunately I fell away from traffic and only sustained scrapes, bruises, a small gash and some road rash on my knee. I felt like such a child, limping back to work and cleaning my owies.

Tim calls my road rash "Reminder Burns". Not to get all philosophical or psychological, but our scars and road rash, whether physical or emotional, do serve as reminders of past mistakes and foolishness. I, for one, will not be attempting the silly sideways curb jump anytime in the near future!

Elsewhere in the life of Kendra ... work is going great! We have hired a person to take over the front desk/general office duties, and I couldn't be more thrilled. I am now moving into my office upstairs! I have several cases of my own, and am retaining several new clients every week. I think it's fun that I have clients from all over the world, not just Mexico. So far I have clients from: Nigeria, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Thailand, The Philippines, Peru, Laos, and Mexico. I love it! Now I'm in the process of turning my new office into a welcoming and professional space. Truth be told, my office needs to be on a home/office makeover show. But I'll see what I can pull out of my bag of tricks without the help of professionals!

7 comments:

Musicputnam said...

Oh no!!!! sorry to hear that! But that is so great about your work--I'm really glad you are doing something that you are so passionate about.

Arlene Winn said...

Oh my dear! I am sorry you have owies! I am grateful you are just experiencing reminder burns.

Please, please do be careful. I like you the way you are.

I like Tim's " Reminder Burns". Sometimes we need a reminder that stays with us a while to really get the message. Many of the lessons I have learned during my life have come with "reminder burns". Hurt feelings, and damaged relationships.... they don't heal very fast. God, please set a guard on my mouth!

How wonderful that your job is heading into phase 2 with your own office, and clients from all over the world.
I am celebrating with you!!!!

I love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

OUCH!! What a bummer. I'm sorry you got hurt but glad you are now safe. Sounds like work is rewarding and that is good.

Love,
Dad

Amber said...

Your own office! Hopefully I will be catching up soon. Right now I have a desk I can seldom retreat to, and it's not exactly a haven (right in the middle of the patient and staff lines of traffic.) I am proud of you!

PS, If we put off Australia until spring break 2010, what do you think of Disneyland for 2009?

Caris Power said...

Why does Tim have to be so smart all the time?! Geez, how annoying is that. :)

Were you wearing your helmet?

I think another trip to Akea is needed for your office...

Ally said...

Glad you're okay, Cous. The "fell away from traffic" bit scares me a little, thinking what could have been. Be careful!

Your own office; this is great. Wish I were closer to help you with an office makeover.

Kendra Joy said...

To clarify: Yes, I was wearing a helmet :)

I've learned my lesson. No more impractical attire for bike-riding...