Monday 19 November 2007

Church Shopping and Advent Conspiracy

In the past few months Tim and I have been “church shopping” – my term for trying to find a church home. It has been quite a struggle, and one that has really frustrated us at different points in the process. Just when we think we like a church, something really big about their mission or methodology makes it difficult for us to continue attending. There have been several Sunday mornings we've been unable to muster the desire to try out a new church only to be disappointed, or the desire to attend a church with which we have already become disenchanted.
What we seek seems simple, really, but apparently our “demands” are not as simple and attainable as we had thought. We seek a church that desires to incarnate the mission of Christ – not just the spiritual mission of ‘saving souls’, but the very personal earthly mission of saving people from their earthly hell (of poverty, homelessness, alcoholism, broken heartedness, hunger etc.) as well. We seek a church that is not ingrown – not solely focused inwardly – but aims to enter the community and world helping people on every level. Our ideal church would accept people of all walks of life, would be a family for everyone who walks in the door, would not be judgmental but rather genuinely loving and caring. We seek a church similar to my home church back in Weston – a truly welcoming community full of people who don’t expect to only help people who come through the church doors, but actually go out to people where they are and walk alongside them as friends.

Until last week Tim and I were very discouraged about our church search. Last week we attended Norkenzie Christian Church where the pastor preached on Advent Conspiracy. The idea of changing how we celebrate Christmas, intentionally focusing on compassion rather than consumption, has been on my mind and nagging at my heart for a while now. My family has never been extravagant in their celebration of Advent, for which I am very thankful. This Christmas season Tim and I are hoping to make Christmas even more about the least of these for whom Christ entered the world and who still lack life essentials such as clean water, food, a roof over their heads, access to education, medical care, and the means to provide for themselves.

As we have all noticed, Christmas seems to come earlier every year. Of course, it doesn’t actually come any earlier than the year before; we always celebrate Christmas on December 25th and the year hasn’t lost any days recently. But two weeks ago the stores in our area were already completely decked out for the Christmas season - three weeks before Thanksgiving! Is our economy so desperate for holiday extravagance that we have to encourage people to spend crazy amounts of money for two months rather than the customary one? What would happen if instead of spending our usual amounts of holiday cash in stores on gifts that will not last much beyond the holidays, we spent our Christmas cash on those who are in need of life essentials? Giving that bit of help to people who are in need can change their lives. And choosing to give relational gifts to our family and friends rather than the typical items off the sale rack will mean more to everyone involved - and may just bring the Christ back into Christmas.

As we approach Thanksgiving, and the “black Friday” following it, now is the perfect time to reconsider the ways we celebrate the coming of Christ. There is still hope for the least of these if we choose to incarnate Christ’s mission today – by not giving in to the consumerism that our culture has adopted and will be pushing down our throats in all sorts of ways this season - but rather choosing to give to others in the Spirit of Christ’s mission. And there is still hope for Tim and I to find a church home here in Eugene – if Norkenzie Christian Church is truly the community of Christ seekers it seems to be!

6 comments:

Amber said...

I was raised in the Presbyterian USA church, which is incredibly dedicated to social justice. I lived near Central Presbyterian when I lived in Eugene, and went to their campus ministry K-Center Wednesday nights. I really loved the community (and they had really great communion bread, as I remember.) They are very involved in the community. I can only say good things about the Presby USA church in general, because I have had such a positive experience with that church community. Indeed, many of my greatest convictions were influenced by it.

I think you should check it out.

http://central.presbychurch.net/

Ally said...

Kendra, my heart goes out to you as you search for a church home. It is so important, and I remember how frustrating it can be. We love our community at Wallingford United Methodist and I would, like Amber, encourage you to check out the United Methodist church. They are very focused on social justice.

Sounds like you heard a good sermon on Sunday. We've tried, in the last couple of years, to give experiences as much as possible rather than stuff. But I like the idea of taking that money and spending it on the homeless, the kids at the youth shelter, or foster children. Perhaps just a card to the family member would do: "In your honor, a homeless family has been fed this Christmas day."

Anonymous said...

I will continue to pray that God would direct you in your church hunt. I commend you for staying with it. No church is perfect, even WCC ;) I would suggest you find a church where you can use your gifts and abilities for God's work. I looks and sounds like you may have good possiblity with NCC.

Mom

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Neil said...

I agree with Mom! :)

Amber said...

And if you're looking for meaningful gifts, go to hungersite.org
You can give fair trade items made my international artisans, like jewelry, scarves, kitchen items. You can also buy amazing gifts like shoes or school supplies for school children abroad, goats for families in Rwanda, feed an Indian Orphan for a year, business grants to African women, rebuild Peruvian cities, etc etc.

Definitely the kind of thing I think you're looking for! (And if you make it your homepage, and click a button, you are donating food!)

And PS you just inspired me. I have known about this site for a long time, and gotten some trinkets on it. But I am now following your lead this Christmas. Aaron and I just made the deal to get each other gift kits from the site, along with a small little something because I've already promised him slippers. ;)