Thursday 20 September 2007

Winds of Change

Yesterday the winds changed in Eugene. The air was suddenly brisk and chilling. I was pleased that the sun was still out to brighten my day, but I am told that in a month or so we will settle into the fall and winter months during which the sun will hide behind a perpetual cloud cover that drops relentless rains on our unsuspecting (or not so unsuspecting) city. I have yet to purchase galoshes, a raincoat or an umbrella but I have been anticipating their necessity for quite some time now. I plan to find some affordable and fun rain attire to bring a ray of cheer to the coming rainy months.

The weather, however, is not the only thing that has been changing in recent days. It seems our whole lives have continued to change since Tim and I got married two-and-a-half months ago. I’m certainly not complaining; most of these changes have been fun even if challenging.

First, I pierced my nose! This may not seem like much of a change, per say, to many. For me, however, this is noteworthy. It has been enjoyable to step out on the proverbial limb on something like a tiny piece of metal through my nose.

Second, I’ve recently sold over half of our furniture on craigslist, possibly the greatest site on the internet next to my blog of course. I am in the process of selling the couch and have managed to sell our mattress and box springs, and the futon. We then bought a like-new leather love seat, new bed, cocktail table and two end tables! Our apartment looks very different from what it did when we moved in. Lest you think we are high rollers, please know that we got great deals on every new-to-us piece of furniture and we are now done purchasing anything aside from gas and groceries for the next three years (if Tim has anything to say about it)! Change seems like too insignificant a word to describe the whirlwind of furniture flying in and out of our first apartment.

But belongings are not the only area of our life that has changed in the last two months. Tim and I are certainly growing and learning in our relationship. This requires some change on our parts. For example, I am becoming more and more aware that I don’t always show up when I say I will. I don’t intend for this to happen, life just catches me off guard – I’m not used to traffic or waiting in lines. Anyway, Tim gets very frustrated by this; he often cooks dinner, or does some other thoughtful but time-sensitive thing that is ruined by my tardiness. So I now tell him I’ll be home later than I actually think I will so that I won’t disappoint him. Latin American time has apparently affected my life more than I thought it did.

A fourth change to our lives is that we are consistently recycling for the first time. This probably sounds odd to many, but I’ve never lived in an area that had easily accessible recycling opportunities. It is really nice to finally live in a place where recycling is valued and encouraged. It is a lifestyle change, however, so it takes time to make it habit.

Then there are the generally expected changes that accompany a move to a new city. We’ve begun searching for doctors, hair stylists, oil change centers, tasty and affordable restaurants, nearby grocery stores etc.

Finally, Tim and I are both changing our eating and exercise habits. We’ve both set up our own workout regimes and have taken to eating healthier portions of healthier foods. We will see how long this change remains, especially with my love-hate relationship with baked sweets and ice cream…

At times I feel like one of the prospective nannies from Mary Poppins. Have I been swept away by the sudden gusts of change?

5 comments:

Ally said...

Anyone who knows our family will know that getting your nose pierced is a very big deal. :) Send pictures when you get a chance. I'm sure you look adorable, as always.

Recycling. Hooray! Isn't it great to live in a place where that's encouraged and made somewhat easy? Does Eugene make you sort your recycle or can you put it all in one bin? Seattle allows everything except for glass to go together in one bin, which makes it super easy to do (once you get into the habit).

Your apartment sounds great with its new furnishings. It is excited to have your own space as a couple and decorate it as you like.

Ally said...

Nice pictures! Your nose looks cute.

Kendra Joy said...

Why thank you! I've always prided myself on the appearance of my nose. Now that it is adorned I can show it off even more. ;)

Amber said...

Hi Kendra! Followed your link from Aaron's site. Congrats on all your big life changes! I wish I could have gone to the wedding and met you (that's a funny sentence), but I'm sure it was beautiful.

I went to Lane my first year, and so I have a few recommendations about Eugene. First of all, I had the most amazing haircut by Clinton at Reflections salon - 91049 South Willamette Street #(541)485-1961. (No, I didn't memorize it, I just looked it up.) Also, try the Glenwood near campus for awesome breakfast. And get a bus pass. Unlike every other American city I've ever been to, the buses aren't sketchy and I never felt my life was in danger while riding. It will save you mucho dinero, you'll have time to read, and you'll be helping the earth! :)

Ciao bella!

Anonymous said...

So, babies anytime soon? Eh? Eh? Your nose does look very cute. And you're apartment looks very nice. I'm glad everything is going good for you two, that makes me happy.